Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A New Journey!

Today marks the beginning of a new journey! I enrolled at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, a school that I've been eyeballing for awhile now. I've kind of always had more of a holistic approach to health, even before I was conscious of what that meant. I've never really thought popping pills would make a problem go away, and was sort of wary of medicine. More and more though I think I'm realizing that our health care system is failing us. The majority of people are overfed and undernourished, and it's leading us to incredibly unhealthy lifestyles.

Healthy eating can seem complicated at times. There's a billion different people telling you to do a billion different things, and it's hard to make heads or tails of. IIN's approach to it is trying to find your health through eating whole foods and finding what makes sense to you in terms of bio-individuality. It teaches the process of curing your health through looking at the patient as an entire person, and doesn't aim to just treat their symptoms. For me this made so much sense, especially in terms of my eating disorder. It was a cry for help, a sign that things were out of balance in the rest of my life. Typical treatment for anorexics and bulimics seems to entail locking them in a clinic, and force feeding them unhealthy food til they gain weight. In what sense is this a recovery? Eating Disorders are so much more a disease of the mind, and the body is the symptom. I owe a huge part of my recovery to learning proper nutrition through whole, plant based foods, and learning why they are good for my body.

At the moment I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with it. I have a feeling that after this year is done I'd like to get a degree/diploma in holistic nutrition to gain further knowledge into natural cures for diseases, since I believe most of the diseases that afflict the population today are lifestyle diseases. It breaks my heart that so many people are suffering because of something that is fixed so easily. I want to be able to share this knowledge with others, and maybe make it a little easier for them to figure out. I want to help them learn that when you're stressed, binging will not make you happier. I want to help other people learn from my mistakes and experiences.

So here's to new adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment