Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Chlorophyll and Fruit

While I was in Vancouver I saw a massage therapist who commented on my skin, which lately has been prone to break outs. It's something that's been kind of frustrating to me, as of late. Ever since gradually moving away from a pretty close to all raw diet, my skin has been breaking out fairly consistently. When I ate mostly raw it was flawless, and I didn't change my skin routine really otherwise. I eat a really clean diet and try to avoid refined sugars as much as possible, so I've been sort of confused as to what I could do different.

Anyways, so the therapist told me that my acid/alkaline balance may be off due to eating a large amount of fruit. While fruit is good for you, it also contains a lot of sugar, albeit the natural kind. Even so, sugar is sugar and your body recognizes it as such. She recommended I try eating more greens, and try taking chlorophyll to help alkalinize my body. So yesterday I picked up a bottle, and I'm going to give it a go. The eating more greens shouldn't be the hard part, but cutting down on fruit intake(just for a bit, to see if it makes a difference), is  going to be hell, to put it mildly. I love fruit. A lot.

Coincidentally, I was listening to a lecture by Robert Young, on the PH Miracle Diet. He recommends eating a diet with little to no sugars, natural or otherwise, and lots of blended and juiced greens, in a mostly raw form. His studies have shown that the less sugars you consume, and the more greens you do lead to healthier blood which is the most important organ in your body. While I totally agree everyone should make an effort to consume more greens, and everyone could do with less sugar, at a glance it seems a little to restrictive to me. Based upon personal experience I know that any diet that is massively restrictive or makes me feel like I'm throwing my health away by eating things that are not prescribed don't work for my peace of mind. My body might run better than it ever has, but if I feel like I'm depriving myself I won't be able to keep it up.

I'm going to try eliminating all refined/processed sugar from my diet(sometimes it sneaks in in the form of chocolate), and reduce my fruit intake to lower sugar fruits, and less of them. The chlorophyll is actually pretty tasty, you mix a tablespoon into water and just drink it. Mine is flavoured with mint, and it makes your water a fascinating emerald colour. I love experimenting with my diet to see what results come from it, so it'll be interesting to see how this affects me.

No comments:

Post a Comment